Wednesday 12 October 2016

Broadening the research field

Originally I planned to only research illustration for mma fight wear. However after speaking to my colleagues and tutor at University I decided that by telling myself that the end goal has to be designs for mma clothing, I am limiting myself from other possible outcomes . In mma illustration is also used on posters, logos and books. I will keep on doing my research into how art is used for mma with an open mind for the final outcome. Perhaps I could make a short comic with funny stereotypical characters that you would find in mma gym or I will decide to come back to my first idea and print beautiful designs on textiles.

The sketches that I am posting today are inspired by fun posters that I have seen around the mma gyms. The first picture is a poster made by an unknown to me artist. The image is titled 'bad sports' it is taken out from series of posters that show stereotypical mma characters. In the illustration the artist mocks how some fighters come to the practise with bad breath, ill- fitting clothing, wounds with infections that can spread etc.


I made two sketches in similar cartoony style. The first sketch shows a stereotypical bjj-brazilian jiu jitsu 'geek' and the second one portrays an angry dragon holding a gorilla in a choke hold because he interrupted his coffee break.




No comments:

Post a Comment